Antecedents and Models
Gentle Fawn Copper Dress,
Gold Metal mesh purse,Sachin & Babi printed cotton dress.,Saucony Freedom ISO Running Shoes Size 6M,Natural Souls by Naturalizer Croc Slip-on Wedge, (a partial and temporary capacity to enjoy a range of goods), the common pattern of making fugitive slaves wear a metal collar, to clothing domestic slaves in special liveries or uniforms. The Treasure & Bond Leather Crossbody Bag British Tan,Coach Patent Leather Suede Satchel,Stella McCartney Elyse Metallic Platform Lace Up Shoes Stars Size 8 Silver, slaves (2).
Africa and the Slave Trade
Arabs and their Muslim allies were the first to make use of large numbers of sub-Saharan black Africans. They developed a long-distance slave trade, which began in the seventh century and lasted into the twentieth. It delivered many millions of Africans across the Sahara Desert, Red Sea, and Indian Ocean to North Africa, the Mediterranean, and Persian Gulf. Although over a much longer period of time and comprising far more females, the number of Africans exported via these trans-Saharan or Indian Ocean slave trades probably equaled, or even outmatched, those of its transatlantic counterpart. The preexistence of these export trades facilitated Atlantic trade: systems of slave marketing were already in place. So numerous were black Africans at certain times and in certain places that they were able to launch massive slave revolts—in 869, for instance, in what is now southern Iraq, where the so-called Zanj (who came from the Swahili Coast and lands further north) worked in large gangs draining marshlands. While the Quran and Islamic law were essentially color-blind and while Muslims enslaved many so-called "white" people, medieval Arabs came to associate the most degrading forms of labor with black slaves. The Arabic word for slave, Rebecca Minkoff Avery Crossbody Bag in Deep Slate Black,Lands end sneaker sz 6,
COACH XL Size Blue Fabric Shoulder Bag,
(2) Beverly Hills MD Supercharged Antioxidant Serum,Loungefly Disney Mulan Cri-Kee & Mulan Lotus Mini Backpack - Exclusive New,, became the origin of the word slave in English (and in French Joey O Brown Open Toe Espadrille Wedge Heels,Handmade handwoven huipil backpack guatemala pink,Anthropologie Pilcro and The Letterpress Raw Hem Glitter Striped Jeans,, and in German Louis Vuitton Epi petite Noe.,NEW Alohas Paw Paw Spritz Platform Espadrille Orange Shoes sz 39,servusVans black off the wall skateboard sneakers sz 8.5 Women's,
Me at 56 Most Amazing Skincare Cream- Serum on Planet Earth! My Name is On It.,
The Atlantic Slave System
LOUIS VUITTON Green Canvas Leather Cabas Kate Bag,
Guess Gorgeous red evening dress!,
As slavery underwent a resurgence in southern Europe, it gradually disappeared from the northwestern part of the continent. Economic changes help to explain this development, but perhaps more important were cultural constraints. Over the course of the Middle Ages, Christians always committed awful atrocities on each other, but increasingly they avoided enslaving one another. Apparently, a sense of unity had emerged in Christian Europe that effectively barred the enslavement of those deemed fellow Europeans. Christianity's long struggle with Islam no doubt played a major role in this development. That from 1500 to 1800 Muslims enslaved well over a million Western Europeans, many of whom were subsequently ransomed and celebrated as symbols of freedom, was a major element in the growing sense that Europeans should never be slaves. Nevertheless, these so-called free labor nations would develop some of the harshest slave regimes in the Americas. As David Brion Davis puts it, "it is an astonishing paradox that the first nations in the world to free themselves of chattel slavery—such nations as England, France, Holland, and even the Scandinavian states—became leaders during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in supporting plantation colonies based on African slave labor." He likens this divide to a primitive Mason-Dixon line, "drawn somewhere in the Atlantic, separating free soil master-states from tainted slave soil dependencies" (8).
This paradox illumines the unpredictability of events in the Americas. No European nation embarked on New World ventures with the intention of enslaving anyone. They had no blueprint but rather proceeded haphazardly and pragmatically. Their first resort was to forced Indian labor (the encomiendaBKE denim women’s cropped jeans size 27,
Consequently, Europeans faced a huge labor shortage. The Ottoman Turkish empire blocked access to Black Sea or Baltic captives. European nations no longer enslaved Christian prisoners of war. Some dreamers talked of enslaving the poor or other marginal groups, but the practical and principled problems of reviving European slavery were considerable. Another expedient was the transportation of convicts, but their numbers were never sufficient. Temporary bondage—indentured servitude—was the most obvious and most widely used other option, particularly in the early years, but servants, if they survived, eventually became free, and in any case most servants would not travel to the areas where most labor was needed. Thus, almost by default, African slaves proved by far the best available labor supply. Consequently, from 1500 to 1820 almost 9 million African slaves left for the New World, compared to less than 3 million whites. In terms of migration, the New World was more black than white (10).
Adidas Women's NMD White Pink and Purple Sneakers Size 6,
NEW in packaging U Beauty resurfacing compound serum full size,
New World slavery's other most distinctive aspect was its highly commercial character. While it is true that plantations—that is, large agricultural enterprises, managed for profit, producing a crop for export, with a hierarchically stratified labor organization—existed outside the New World, they reached their apogee there. The economies of scale, the expansion in unit size, the almost exclusive use of black slaves, a highly regimented and commodified labor force, and a system of close management all raised profit levels significantly. Such a productive system placed enormous demands on its laborers. As early as the 1630s a visitor to a Jesuit-owned sugar plantation in Brazil vividly described the unbearable horror of what had transpired: "People the color of the very night, working briskly and moaning at the same time without a moment of peace or rest, whoever sees all the confused and noisy machinery and apparatus of this Babylon, even if they have seen Mt. Etna and Vesuvius will say that this indeed is the image of Hell" (13).
Patterns of New World Slavery
Variations over time and space existed within New World slavery. Three stand out. First, although all New World regions imported more African men than women (thereby in part explaining the harshness of New World slavery because of the policing problems associated with large gangs of men), over time the gender ratio among New World slaves became increasingly balanced. In that regard, the North American slave population is most notable, because, as its number of slave women increased the most rapidly, so it became one of the few self-reproducing slave populations in world history. This early and rapid natural increase explains why North America received such a small percentage of the overall transatlantic slave trade—about 5 percent. Second, North America was also distinctive in being much less tolerant of racial intermixture than Latin America or the Caribbean. Once again demography—particularly the ratio of white men to white women (more balanced in North America than in Latin America and the Caribbean) and the availability of black women—was a crucial part of the explanation, but also important were the role of the Church and cultural mores, based as much in Old World patterns of racial coexistence or segregation. The Spanish had mixed with Muslims for centuries; the English had created a Pale in their settlement of Ireland. Only in North America did the extremely arbitrary concept of "Negro"—denoting anyone with allegedly visible African ancestry—assume such a marked stigma. Third, the chances of gaining freedom varied from one society to the next. Except for the period surrounding the American Revolution, the North American colonies, and later the states, imposed the severest restrictions on the chances of a slave becoming free. Again, demography—the proportions of whites and blacks in the population—has some explanatory power as do economic and cultural forces (14).
North American slavery itself was hardly of a piece. The range encompasses New England's intimate "family slavery"; the Mid-Atlantic's mixed forms of slavery and servitude; the Chesapeake's patriarchal, small plantation, mixed farming and tobacco, heavily native-born form of slavery; and the low country's impersonal, large plantation, rice and indigo, more heavily African system of slavery. In addition, various borderland forms existed: from a fluid world of interracial alliances in the Lower Mississippi Valley to a flexible one of fugitives and ex-slaves in Spanish Florida to one in which Indian slaves were transformed from symbols of alliance into commodities of exchange in French Canada (15).
CHEVIOTTO booty booster striped jeans 4,
Danecraft vintage sterling silver wheat pin,
Loungefly Marvel WandaVision Classic Costumes Mini Backpack - Exclusive New,The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-bellum South (New York: Knopf, 1956).
Loungefly Star Wars The Mandalorian Backpack,International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, ed. David L. Sills and Robert King Merton (New York: Macmillan, 1968), 14: 307-13; Finley, Ancient Slavery and Modern Ideology, reprint (Hammondsworth, UK: Penguin, 1983, 1980), 9, 96, 102, 111, 113-14; Keith Hopkins, Mountain West Purse,Vintage tan & luggage leather Downey & Bourke bag,*Authentic* RARE Vintage Louis Vuitton Cab…, 138 (1993): 3-27; Keith Bradley, Slavery and Society at RomeNew Balance 574 Women’s Sneaker,Pink Adidas alpha 3 bounce sz 9,Weiss Medium Red and Pink,The Problem of Slavery in Western CultureCelebrity Pink Studded Jem Stone Cropped Jeans 27,Fringe leather crossbody,Skechers Squad Glitz BOBS Sparkle Knit Lace-Up Sneakers 9 Memory Foam Mauve,
Ralph A. Austen, "The Trans-Saharan Slave Trade: A Tentative Census," TOSCANELLA WEDGE SNADALS,, ed. Henry A. Gemery and Jan S. Hogendorn (New York: Academic Press, 1979), 23-76; Austen, "The Mediterranean Islamic Slave Trade out of Africa: A Tentative Census," Van's Designer Hello Kitty Black/Pink Low-Top Lace-Up Sneakers Tennis Shoes,Babe Lash Eyelash Growth Conditioner 3ml,Encyclopedia of Africa South of the SaharaSailor moon Constellation Mini Backpack New Exclusive,International Journal of African Historical Studies 10 (1977): 443-61; Alexandre Popovic, The Revolt of African Slaves in Iraq in the IIIrd-IXth CenturyPrada Vitello daino large tote,Adaya brooch , design by Maya Keyton,PRICE⬇️SALE GREEN CROCODILE BACKPACK,Size 8 Leslie Fay navy dress., (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1998); Shaun E. Marmon, ed., Gold Tone Brooch/Pendant Clear and Gray Rhinestones Vintage, (Princeton, N.J.: Markus Wiener, 1998); Minra Tora and John Edward Philips, eds., Slave Elites in the Middle East and Africa: A Comparative StudyAnthropologie,Pilcro&Letterpress,Serif jea…,The African Diaspora in the Mediterranean Lands of IslamRuby Rox - Dress,Slavery on the Frontiers of IslamC&V Chelsea & Violet NWT Fringed Jean Shorts,
Suzanne Miers and Igor Kopytoff, eds., Slavery in Africa: Historical and Anthropological PerspectivesFree People Leopard Ankle Skinny Mid-Rise Jeans 26,90’s Vintage Tommy Hilfiger Wide Leg Cropped Jeans, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990); John Thornton, Vintage piece of Amber (pin),Nike Air Max Typha 2 Men Size 10 Shoes Black/White,Transformations in Slavery: A History of Slavery in AfricaAbbey Ballet Slipper Pink Nylon Backpack 14"L x 5"W x 13"H Item #: 29313434.,
Zara Stretch Gray Denim Studded Cuffed Crop Jean,Archivum latinitatis medii aeviNEWHerbivore NOVA Brightening Serum,L'Esclavage dans l'Europe médiévale, vol. 1, Pénisule Ibérique—France (Bruges: De Tempel, 1955); vol. 2, Italie, Colonies Italiennes du Levant, Levant Latin, Empire Bysantin (Ghent: 1977); and Verlinden, The Beginnings of Modern Colonization: Eleven Essays with an IntroductionNine West NWSoyer Slip on Wedge Sandal bronze Size 5.5,Slavery and Society in Medieval ScandinaviaBebe Suede Black Gold Chains Platform Boots Booties Pumps Sz 7,Diamond revitalizing 24k serum ♥️, (Woodbridge, UK: Boydell Press, 1995); Steven Epstein, Speaking of Slavery: Color, Ethnicity, and Human Bondage in Italy (Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 2001); and Sally McKee, "Inherited Status and Slavery in Late Medieval Italy and Venetian Crete," Shell canvas purse. Sun N Sand. Teal blue.,flax plaid button down nap maxi dress size medium,
SCHUTZ Ziquiele Retro Chunky Woven Platform Sandal,Citizens of Humanity Ava Cut Off Jean Shorts Womens 27 Blue Fringe Raw Hem Denim, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982); Hugh Thomas, The Slave Trade: The Story of the Atlantic Slave Trade: 1440-1870 (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997), 21-24, 48-86.
Felipe Fernández-Armesto, Sakroots Women's Roma Mini Crossbody,Elysee cashmere long black coat large xl,Tall Patent Leathe bag. Beautiful! NWOT,Calla Lilly with Pearl Center Brooch Pin,Cousin Earl 'Cooper' Leopard Puffer Jacket,FOSSIL Dark Green Leather Front Flap Messenger Shoulder Bag ZB2393.,PRICE⬇️SALE JSC X SHANE DAWSON PINK PIG BACKPACK, (San Francisco: Mellen Research University Press, 1992).
PacSun•23 jeans Vintage Icon embroidery acid wash distressed raw ankle,American Historical ReviewEVOTE' White Day Face Serum.,Big Star Liv Blue Cotton Denim Shorts Size 29, (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2003), 14; Robert C. Davis, Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800 (Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2003). For more on the development of freedom and slavery, see David Eltis, The Rise of African Slavery in the Americas (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000), and Sue Peabody, There Are No Slaves in France: The Political Culture of Race and Slavery in the Ancien RégimeVineyard Vine mens leather sandals,
Vintage rhinestone comedy tragedy mask brooch pin,The Early Spanish MainTommy Hilfiger quilted jacket size medium,NWOT NYDJ Green Capris drawstring on legs #SJ29, (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1992); William L. Sherman, Forced Native Labor in Sixteenth-Century Central AmericaC2 - COACH NWT WOMENS CITYSOLE FAUX SHEARLING PLATFORM LACEUP SNEAKERS,Vera Bradley Little Betsy night owl Bag,Mavi Emily Shorts In Light Indigo Vintage,The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise of the English Empire in the American South, 1670-1717BNIB MURAD REVITALIXIR RECOVERY SERUM FOR FACE AND EYES,Aryn K. - Black Sheath Cocktail Dress,, ed. Elizabeth Mancke and Carole Shammas (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005), 75-121. For a recent discussion of Indian population decline, see David S. Jones, "Virgin Soils Revisited," Authentic Chanel black shiny large bag -rare,, 3rd ser., 60 (October 2003): 703-42.
David Galenson, White Servitude in Colonial America: An Economic AnalysisNWOT Judith Jack Sterling and Marcasite Brooch,ECCO BLACK LEATHER LACE UP FLAT SHOE SIZE US9,Anthropologie Sanctuary Yvette Zebra Bikini Bottom,William and Mary Quarterly, 3rd ser., 58 (January 2001): 17-46. Two good microhistories of the transatlantic slave trade are Robert Harms, Vintage Green Suede Small Crossbody,Miss Me Dark Blue High-Rise Crop Bootcut Jeans - Women 29,The Two Princes of Calabar: An Eighteenth-Century Atlantic Odyssey (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2004).
David Eltis and William G. Clarence-Smith, "White Servitude," New in box Pevonia Power Repair Rapid Restore Neck & Chest (Serum and Cream Duo),Vintage inspired Cloth boho magnetic clasp over the shoulder tote bag,London Fog Bucket Bag Striped Bow And Metal Handle, (London: Longman, 1996); Stanley L. Engerman, ed., Terms of Labor: Slavery, Serfdom, and Free Labor (Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 1999); and Bush, Juicy Couture tan crossbody, (Cambridge, UK: Polity, 2000).
Frank M. Snowden Jr., Blacks in Antiquity: Ethiopians in the Greco-Roman Experience (Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1970); Snowden, BCBG QUILTED CROSSBODY/SHOULDER HANDBAG GOLD CHAIN,BCBG black and white high-low dress,The Invention of Racism in Classical Antiquity (Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2004); Jean Devisse and Michel Mollat, eds., The Image of the Black in Western Art, vol. 2, Sole Society Emilia Black Strappy Wedge Cork Sandals Size 8.5,COPY - Like new Burberry,Images of the Medieval PeasantTorrid wedge sandals shoes sz 8,Tommy Hilfiger denim jean shorts with metal rivet loops,U beauty resurfacing compound serum,White Over Black: American Attitudes Toward the Negro, 1550-1812NWT Lane Bryant Mid Rise Stretch Crop Jeans,Race: The History of an Idea in the West (Washington, D.C.: The Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 1996); the essays in "Constructing Race: Differentiating Peoples in the Early Modern World," William and Mary QuarterlyAnthro Jean Rhinestone-Embellished Platforms,The Curse of Ham: Race and Slavery in Early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2003). The best account is David Brion Davis, "The Origins of Anti-Black Racism in the New World," chap. 3 in Inhuman Bondage: The Rise and Fall of New World SlaveryTOV Trench Coat Mafia Hi/Low Trench Coat Size 44 XL US,
7 for all mankind• 31 crop Dojo jeans denim,ED by Ellen Degeneres Mule Sneaker in Black, (New York: Norton, 1989); Schwartz, ed., TOM's Blue Denim Wedge Sandals,, 3.
Frank Tannenbaum, Slave and Citizen: The Negro in the AmericasNWOT HOBO Convertible mini backpack/ purse - Black Patent leather,Neither Black Nor White: Slavery and Race Relations in Brazil and the United States (New York: Macmillan, 1971).
Boston Proper Tie Dye Hi Low Jersey Knit Dress XS,Black Yankees: The Development of an Afro-American Subculture in Eighteenth-Century New England (Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1988); Graham Russell Hodges, Root and Branch: African Americans in New York and East Jersey, 1613-1863NEW LifeStride Muse Wedge Flex Sandals in Black,Slave Counterpoint: Black Culture in the Eighteenth-Century Chesapeake and LowcountryGoing Out Crossbody Bag,Estée Lauder Revitalizing Supreme +,Blank NYC The Fulton Roll Up Denim Cut Off Shorts Size 28,Torrid Bombshell Jeans (Tall),Kate Spade Beige Large Purse,William and Mary Quarterly 3rd ser., 60 (October 2003): 777-808. To this list might be added other forms of aboriginal slavery: see Theda Perdue, VINTAGE FAUX FUR COAT ( HILLMOOR NY ) MADE IN USA, (Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1979); William A. Starna and Ralph Watkins, "Northern Iroquoian Slavery," Mint green Marc Jacobs. Like new. Used twice, 38 (Winter 1991): 34-57; and Leland Donald, Aboriginal Slavery on the Northwest Coast of North America (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997).
Chinese Laundry Tribal Platform Wedges,
- Beautiful crossbody New purse,The Making of New World Slavery: From the Baroque to the Modern, 1492-1800Brooks Ghost 12 Women's Running Shoes size 8 sneakers athletic gray white padded,
- Vera Bradley crossbody bag Mint Brown Leaf Pattern Good Used Condition,NWT FREE PEOPLE Heartlands Maxi Dress Ivory Combo,Calvin Klein I Women's /Girls Puffer Jacket,
- BoomBoom Jeans | Floral Embroidered, Distressed Cropped Jeans, 9,Unchained Voices: An Anthology of Black Authors in the English-Speaking World of the Eighteenth CenturyTaverniti So Jeans Juniors Jamie Shorts 28,
- COACH NWT WOMENS CITYSOLE FAUX SHEARLING PLATFORM LACEUP SNEAKERS,Children of God's Fire: A Documentary History of Black Slavery in BrazilGorgeous classic bamboo handle bag,
- Davis, David Brion. GG Marmont small matelassé shoulder bag.,. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2003. The first short essay in the volume is a superb introduction to the origins of New World slavery, but it should be complemented by a number of other books by this great historian of New World slavery. I particularly recommend his Fuchsia Butterfly Brooch Clip Earring Set Gold Tone 2.5" Vtg Estate Jewelry Plum,Large VINTAGE LOUIS VUITTON shoulder bag. Bought NEW, gently used.,
- Davis, Robert C. Men’s size 10.5 Aldo Chelsea boot in cognac,Adidas Womens Jacket Down Puffer Fill Chain Floral Leopard Studio London 280$,
- B Makowsky brown leather and snake print leather shoulder satchel tote handbag,A Historical Guide to World Slavery. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998. A useful reference work that covers most regions where slavery was important, together with topical examinations of the subject.
- True Religion Women Denim Cut Off Shorts Destruced,The Rise of African Slavery in the AmericasNEW TEVA WHITE INDIO JEWELL ANKLE WRAP PLATFORM SANDALS,
- Gucci MicroGuccissima Navy Blue Bag,La Blanca Island Goddess Keyhole Tankini Top Sz 6,Skechers Squad Glitz BOBS Sparkle Knit Lace-Up Sneakers 6 Memory Foam Black,
- BNIB MURAD ENVIRONMENTAL SHIELD VITA C GLYCOLIC BRIGHTENING SERUM,Macmillan Encyclopedia of World SlaveryDistressed leather backpack,
- Finley, M. I. Vera Bradley Tango Red chained patent leather chain shoulder bag,. Reprint. Harmondsworth, UK: Penguin, 1983, 1980. An exploration of the emergence, functioning, and decline of the slave societies of classical Greece and classical Italy, with comparisons to New World slavery, by the greatest historian of ancient slavery.
- Fredrickson, George M. Racism: A Short HistoryRebecca Minkoff Woven Chain Backpack,
- **BRAND NEW** MK purse,Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Intense Reset Concentrate BNIB. Contains about 1,000 pictorial images of slavery in Africa and the Americas, arranged thematically.
- Lucky Brand Olive Green Leather Open Toe Wedges,Steve Madden Camden Knit Wedge Sneakers Taupe -7,. New York: Hill and Wang, 1993. A good general account by a historian alert to comparative history.
- Vintage Relic Fossil Crossbody Bag,Race and Slavery in the Middle East: An Historical Enquiry. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990. A good survey of slavery and the evolution of racial prejudice in the Islamic world.
- Miers, Suzanne, and Igor Kopytoff, eds. Slavery in Africa: Historical and Anthropological Perspectives. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1977. The long introduction on slavery as an "institution of marginality" is a classic, and many of the individual essays on particular regions and groups are stimulating.
- Miller, Joseph. C., ed. Slavery and Slaving in World History: A Bibliography, 1900-1996. 2 vols. Armonk, N.Y.: M. E. Sharpe, 1999. The most comprehensive work of its kind. Annual updates are available in the journal Cole Haan leather boho,. The entire bibliography is being prepared for Internet access as a searchable database by the Virginia Center for Digital History at the University of Virginia.
- Morgan, Philip D. "African Americans." In A Companion to Colonial AmericaCabela's Burgundy Puffer Jacket Full Zip Long Sleeve Maroon Womens Size Medium M,
- Patterson, Orlando. Michael Kors Collection Shoes Woven Braided Leather Wood Square Toe Platform 8,. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1982. The best general survey of slave systems in 66 societies, written by a sociologist.
- ZARA TRAFALUC SATIN NAVY FRAYED LACE UP SNEAKERS SIZE 37 EUC,Linea Paolo Felicia Camo Print Suede Wedge Sneakers Women's sz 5M,. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1985. A useful account that focuses on slavery in medieval Europe, the world of Islam, and the rise of the Atlantic slave system.
- Thornton, John. Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World, 1400-1800teal and burgundy flannel,
Philip D. Morgan is the Sydney and Ruth Lapidus Professor in the American Revolutionary Era at Princeton University. He is the author of Slave Counterpoint: Black Culture in the Eighteenth-Century Chesapeake and Lowcountry (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1998) and coeditor (with Sean Hawkins) of Black Experience and the Empire: The Oxford History of the British Empire (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004). He would like to acknowledge in particular the assistance of David Brion Davis, who generously sent him two early chapters from his forthcoming manuscript, "Inhuman Bondage: The Rise and Fall of New World Slavery."